The National Museum of Singapore is the oldest museum in Singapore. Its history dates back to 1849 when it was started as a section of a library at Singapore Institution. After several relocations, the Museum was relocated to its permanent site at Stamford Road at the Museum Planning Area in 1887. The museum focuses on exhibits related to the history of Singapore.
The Museum is one of the four national museums in the country, the other three being the two Asian Civilisations Museums and the Singapore Art Museum. The Museum was named the National Museum of Singapore in 1965. For a brief period between 1993 and 2006, it was known as the Singapore History Museum, before reverting back to its previous name. The Museum underwent a three-and-a-half-year restoration and reopened on 2006, with the Singapore History Gallery opening on the same year.
The Singapore History Gallery is 2800 metre square gallery located whithin the vicinity of the National Museum of Singapore.The gallery adopts a story-telling approach unveiling different perspectives through tales of the past. Instead of using museum labels to describe artefacts, the gallery uses an audio tour device known as the companion to guide visitors around the gallery. Each Companion comprise of an LCD display, a pair of earphones and a keypad which enables guest to enjoy audio, visual and textual content which complement the National Museum's physical collection of artefacts.
The museum used to house a vast collection of zoological items, but were transferred to the National University of Singapore and other museums in the Commonwealth. It currently has eleven precious artifacts, including the Singapore Stone.